We stayed in Stamford, CT which is 45 minutes out of New York City. We flew into LaGuardia where we rented a car and drove to Stamford. We had a lovely supper at the hotel dining room. The Holiday Inn was a very quiet hotel.
I got up the next morning determined to exercise , but my gym shoes somehow did not make it in the suitcase. So I went walking. It was hot and muggy.
That night we had tickets to Wicked. Plucking up all our courage, we braved New York traffic. The population of Canada is 33,390,141 (as of July 2007) That means that the equivalent of over half the population of Canada is in New York on a daily basis. (I might mention that all those people are talking on cell phones and driving as fast as their car will go.) To further illustrate my point, let me remind you that Canada is the second largest country in the world measuring some 9,976,140 km2 (6 198 874 sq mi) and New York's urban square footage is only something like 8,683 km² (3,353 sq mi). So Canada is 1150 times bigger than New York City while the population is only 2 times bigger. (This may explain how when I was a Canadian at BYU I did not know so and so from Toronto.) But I digress, fact: New York is big and busy. It truly is the city that never sleeps; maybe they stay up all night doing all that grafitti...
Friday night we went out to dinner with some dear friends who live in Darien, CT. (Rhymes with Mary-Ann, not Marion) We had a scrumptious Italian dinner and enjoyed each others company immensely. Apparently The Stepford Wives and Cannonball Run II were filmed in Darien, CT. (A bit of trivia never hurt anyone.)
Friday I went down to the "coast". I love the ocean, but the only sea water I could find was a little park about a half hour walk from the hotel. Long Island Sound separated me from the real ocean. How anti-climactic. It rained most of Friday so I finished a scarf I had been working on.
Saturday we went back into the city, went to the temple, then to Lion King.
Ground Zero, the American Stock Exchange and Times Square.Overall, New York was an quite an experience. I found the people less than polite (we bought a pretzel from a street vendor who talked on his cell phone the entire time, as did the toll booth lady - actually everyone in New York had cell phones surgically attached to their ear). I watched, helpless, while an irate New Yorker yelled obscenites at a poor Canadian crossing the road.














3 comments:
Sounds like a lot of fun!
Sounds like you had a great time! Vacations away from kids for one on one time with the hubby is always fantastic!
Aren't getaways great?! But I'd choose to get away to Calgary again before I'd choose to go to NYC. Big city, too many people, too much traffic--no thanks. I would like to see Wicked someday, but somewhere else I think.
Post a Comment