Monday, September 12, 2011

And then we did a BIG hike…

Scott 2 019All I've ever heard about Crypt Lake is that it is an amazing hike. This year I had the opportunity to find out for myself. It took 2 boatloads to deliver our group to the trailhead. We then spent a fun day hiking up the valley, past waterfalls, through a tunnel, along a cliff and finally to the lake where there was still ice floating at the end of July. Crypt is a long 17 (10 mile) hike with an elevation gain of 2300 feet. The scenery was ever-changing with 3 waterfalls, wildflowers, glaciers, and interesting terrain from green forest trail to scaling a 50 cm trail along the edge of a cliff while holding onto a cable. Bears are usually seen on the trail but we did not bump into any. Fun day all around.
Just a few pics.Scott 2 052
Waterfall #1
Scott 2 072Scott 2 074Scott 2 080
Into the tunnel…
Scott 2 086Scott 2 119
On the cliff…
Waterton 165The lonely iceberg.Waterton 142
Waterfall # 2
Waterton 173                                           Waterton 149
     Waterfall #3

This shot is looking down out of the mouth of the tunnel.  Seen from my computer screen, this shot makes me feel a little dizzy.  Something I’m glad I didn’t feel when I was up there.  I am so glad I finally did this hike.  And I did it with 4 of my kids and my husband.  One more thing checked off the bucket list.

1 comment:

mskaz said...

Not being a big fan of hiking, you can imagine how much I didn't enjoy this hike at Girl's Camp when I was 13. Haha. I suppose I'm glad I did it, but I was terrified for half of it.