Wednesday, December 05, 2012


One of my favourite books is Cheaper By the Dozen by Frank and Lillian Gilbreth.  I have never seen the movie but I love the book.  Imagine my delight when I discovered there was a sequel!  It is called Belles on Their Toes and it is written by Frank B. Gilbreth Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey, children of Frank and Lillian Gilbreth.  These literary gems are about a family of 11 children.  (There were 12 but one died apparently).  Lillian Gilbreth is my hero.  Her parenting techniques are amazing.  I love this quote from the book, it reminds me of someone I know...
"Mother reached into her briefcase-sized pocketbook, pulled out two lueprints, the first draft of a speech she was writing, a copy of the magazine Iron Age, a shawl she was crocheting for her mother, some socks she had darned on the boat, and finnally her black note book.  There is never anything very efficient about Mother's pocketbook."  (pg. 80-81)

No comments: