Saturday, November 01, 2008

Bookworm Award

Thanks to Carla for the bookworm award! She also throws a mean Halloween party, btw. Very talented gal, our Carla. (And thanks to Debbi for the bookworm graphic)
The instructions say:

Pass it on to five other bloggers, and tell them to open the nearest book to page 56. Write out the fifth sentence on that page, and also the next two to five sentences... THE CLOSEST BOOK, NOT YOUR FAVORITE, OR MOST INTELLECTUAL!!

The closest book to me was the phone book, so I will invoke my right to pick the second closest book. It is called The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak. It is an amazing book. I've been reading (purely by chance) a lot of WWII fiction. This one takes the interesting twist of being narrated by Death. Obviously and Horrendously, this was a busy time for Death as he was over-worked during the Hitler years. But he still took the time to tell the story of a young foster girl living just outside Munich in Nazi Germany. Liesel is addicted to books and to stealing them. The fifth sentence on page 57 (invoking again) says:
In Leisel's mind, the moon was sewn into the sky that night. Clouds were stitched around it....Waiting for his moment, he paced around, gathering concentration under the darkness sky, with the moon and the clouds watching, tightly.

The imagery and poetic language in this book deserve a review all to themselves and I am excited that my book club plans to do this sometime next year.

I pass this award on to:

Lynette
Harmony
Anne B.
Amber
Tara
Sue-anne

5 comments:

AnneB said...

The closest book to me was called "Law" as well as something else in Chinese. The fifth sentence: "This does not mean, of course, that every legal system is entirelhy different from every other legal system.

Sue-anne said...

The closest book to me is *The Bancroft Stratgy* by Robert Ludlum. The fifth sentence is
*èHeaddress, automatic weapons.è Gomes Shrugged. èArab militants. Thatès my opinionè*
(sorry problems with the quotation marks (È) and apostrophes (è) still).
The book right underneath is one you will be glad I didnèt quote - Jodi Picoult!

Sue-anne said...

I actually havnèt finished that book. I started it along time ago, and havnèt finished. This is the first Robert Ludlum novel that I havenèt finished.

Amber said...

I read the Book Thief too. I found it very interesting. I hope you enjoy.

Amber said...

The book closest to me is Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell. Here is the sentences: "The letters were written on occasion of the publication of the same Sermon which was represented in the picture. The preaching before 'My Lord Judge', and the 'publishing by request', was evidently the culminating point--the event of his life. It had been necessary for him to go up to London to superintend it through the press."