Born in 1884, my great-grandfather was one of the early settlers in southern Alberta, around the breath-taking Belly River area. He was a great fisherman, hunter, cattleman, horseman, but not so great of a poker player. When he was 57 years old, the war had barely begun. He had a wife and 6 children aged 32, 31, 30, 28, 26, and 23 years old.Upon enlisting, at age 57, (!) he was given 6 months of training and posted to England where he was a night cook in the army. My great-aunt records this in the history book (page 8):
"He told of making pancakes in a container as big as a bath tub using 50 pounds of flour, a case of canned milk, one half can of baking powder and including dried powdered eggs. He was the father image to young men and women stationed there for long or short periods, before they were sent to the battlefield....He was commended by his superior officers for his dependability, sobriety and understanding. He was discharged in 1944."
Can you imagine?!? When I am 57, I hope to be travelling, catching up on my knitting, and enjoying my grandchildren. I am sincerely grateful for the men and women who are willing to lay their lives on the line and today we remember them.














5 comments:
What a great way to celebrate Remembrance Day. I'm very impressed with your great grandfather. My great-grand did the same thing for WWII. He had six kids as well and three of them joined with him. Isn't it amazing what they sacrified for us?
That was a nice tribute. I think our ancestors were amazing and seem to have more determination and loyalty that our generation. We should pull out our histories more I think.. and try to be more like them in some ways.
Great Idea, just fantastic. I love all that you shared with us. My Grandfather and brother were in the war. What men of honor. Thanks for a great post.
Good idea to make this more personal for you. I think it is so interesting what a big deal "Remembrance Day" is in Canada. The only way I knew there was a holiday yesterday is because I didn't get any mail. Shame, shame, USA.
I learned something today about my Great Grandfather, thank you! We must be second cousins, I'm guessing. I followed the link from Paula Kapscos' blog...
My Grandmother is Lorna Avis Jacobs, daughter of James & Eva Jacobs.
Thanks again!
Post a Comment