Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Drumheller

Having free passes to the Royal Tyrell Museum of Palaeontology that expired at the end of the month took us on a road trip to Drumheller one fine day in May.

I couldn't resist a  few shadow pictures...
I highly recommend this day trip to anyone.  The Museum is a first-class facility and we also enjoyed some other things in town.
We went up in the 86 foot T-Rex.
We drove the Hoodoo Trail out to the Atlas Coal Mine National Historic Site, the last of the 139 coal mines in the Drumheller Valley.  Coal was the primary economic base for a thriving community from 1910 till the late 1940's.  We all enjoyed the authentic and educational tour.  

Would you have wanted to apply?  These guys were up for it!
 

The kids really enjoyed the Hoodoo's. 

Last but not least we hiked over and around the Star Mine Suspension Bridge.
















Of course, these kids always have to climb everything in sight...
Can you spot them climbing?  Here they are at the top.  I hope you can find some time to get out on an Alberta getaway this summer.  Personally I'm glad we did this in May...  it gets awful hot there in the summer.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Thanks for the tid bits. We've NEVER been! and were thinking of going on Monday.

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about taking the boy up to Drumheller. Thanks for this pics. We'll be sure to make it this summer.

mskaz said...

I've been to that bridge many times! There are lots of fun little spots in and around Drumheller. I should take my kids, never have before and now I'm wondering why!

Tara said...

Hi Jacqueline!! Those pictures brought back so many memories. We used to stop in Drumheller everytime we drove from Stettler to Lethbridge. The boys especially loved the suspension bridge. Hey, I am so excited to see you guys soon! I keep meaning to call but then the time difference gets in the way. Please tell Miranda that I love the picture she sent here with Granny.