Monday, October 25, 2010

No pressure

This post is dedicated to my most loyal reader.  You know who you are. :)

Today is October 25th. That means 9 weeks until Christmas. So I guess it is perfect that it is snowing outside today. The Old Farmer's Almanac is forecasting a colder than normal winter with higher than normal precipitation snowfall levels. How convenient I finished these socks and I'm almost finished a second pair. A funny thing happened when I was knitting these socks. The colours were so random that I decided I wanted to socks to be random too - as in not matching. I planned to just start knitting the second from where the first left off and have two matching/mis-matched socks. But the Knitting Gods had other plans and they ended up matching perfectly. I should have bought a lottery ticket...

In other news... I went to Vermilion two weeks ago. For those of you who don't know anything about Vermilion, (ie. myself) here's a little info:
The Vermilion River Valley was anciently inhabited by the Beaver and Cree First Nations people long before it became a trading post for the Northwest Company. Nestled on the banks of the Peace River, it is named for the orangish/reddish colour of the clay which composes the banks of the river. Lakeland College is there as well they have a rodeo there every July. It was a nice friendly little town - in the middle of nowhere and practically in Saskatchewan!!!  Can you say "road trip, anyone"?  The reason we went to Vermilion was because Erica qualified for the provincial cross-country meet at the city qualifiers.  (You might recall last year's city finals...)

Any idea how much fun it is to photograph your five-year-old jumping a two-foot fence while waiting for your sixteen-year-old to run 4 km?




So back to Vermillion...
The course was very hilly, and Erica underestimated the length and came in 46th out of 117 with a time of 20:40 for a 4 km - and she was hardly puffing. She did great, but we both felt she didn't run her best race. Still it was a good experience and an honour to make provincials in a city of a million people...

Driving into the sunrise

Preparing for the race...

Just a little charming pastoral scenery

A strong finish

Can you lift 5000 lbs?  Erica can.

PLUS, we got to see Vermilion AND stop at Vegreville for a gander at the world's largest Easter egg!  What, haven't you always wanted to see the world's largest Pysanka? Read all about it here.

4 comments:

Sheila said...

I only live one hour from vermillion. Glad you got to enjoy your trip up here. Next time come one more hour and stay with us.. we'd love that.

Harmony said...

Wow, a 16-year-old distance runner and an up-and-coming 5-year-old hurdler! The first picture of the 5-year-old makes her look like she can throw the javelin too! Oh, and cute socks, by the way!

Kat said...

Yup she will be doing hurdles:)
I say we burn the Almanac this year...lol

Anonymous said...

Too funny! I just stopped at the Pysanka 2 weeks ago myself!. Way to go Erica! I remember running cross country and how hard it was so I am very impressed with your efforts!