Monday, October 19, 2009

The Purple People Eater

Well, the snow's all gone and my shovel is still nowhere to be found.  There is a mysterious broom on my lawn that doesn't belong to me, though.  Maybe I swapped with someone...

*     *     *     *     *     *      *     *      *     *     *     *      *     *      *     *     *     *     *     *


The other night I celebrated my anniversary.  It was so cold I had to wear my latest knitting FO.  Knit from this pattern, out of this alpaca/wool blend, it is basically an asymetrical neck warmer.  Instead of shopping for a button for it, I decided to make a one-of-a-kind button (or 10).  I mixed some Fimo colours, utilized the lid to a water bottle and a corn on the cob pokey thingy and voila, one-of-a-kind buttons.  I call it the Purple People Eater.  My mom used to sing that song and everytime I look at it I think of the song. (Be sure to click the link and listen to the song - it's a classic)


And it looks great with my purple suit from China. I don't know why I'm not smiling in these pics, I really am happily married.

In other news, only in Canada would you find the City finals for Cross-Country being held in a snow storm.  And when I say cross-country, I don't mean cross-country skiing.  I mean cross-country running.  The runners lacked only skis to change the event though, as they were all decked out in toques and mittens.  Which weren't enough, by the way.  Instead of rehydrating with Gatorade, they were chugging hot chocolate!  While only the top 18 from all of Calgary get to go to provincials, Erica did get a personal best and really improved during the course of her training.  She made some great friends and is having a positive experience in high school thus far.

5 comments:

Neener said...

My little one the 9yr old came in 3rd place. Luckily it was one of the nicer days they ran here... it was 31 that day. When my son ran it was a day like your kids with the blowing snow. Oh how wonderful the weather is here in good ol Alberta. Hope you find your shovel soon.

Anonymous said...

Ah...I miss Canada!
I would really love to live up there!

Carla McDaniel said...

Yeah...what happened in those pics. I know you are happily married :) Happy
Anniversary!!

Bea said...

Cute purple thing! Happy anniversary!! (and interesting that the one child is missing his/her face...)

Rita said...

Congratulations on your anniversary and on thinking to use the corn cob pokey thingy on the buttons ;) Very ingenious.
Tough runners must run (no pun intended) in the family...Erica's a lot like her mommy!!