Friday, January 14, 2011

Generic Baby Toques

I've knit tons of these baby toques.  I donate them to hospitals and push them on unsuspecting babies.  I decided to write up the pattern just for fun.  I knit them with dk yarn on a 4mm 40 cm circular needle - if you're a loose knitter you can use a 3.75mm.  I use a set of 5 DPN (or a set of 4 plus my circular) to do the decreases.  Go ahead and make one for a baby you love.  Let me know how it turns out.

Generic Baby Toques

CO 64 sts.
Join in the round and knit 8 rows k2p2 rib.
Continue in stockingette stitch until toque measures 4.5 inches from cast on edge.
Change to a set of 5 dpns with 16 sts on each needle and use the 5th to knit with.
Decreases:
k6 k2tog for one round
knit one round plain
k5 k2tog for one round
knit one round plain
k4 k2tog for one round
knit one round plain
knit 3 k2tog for one round
knit one round plain
k2 k2tog for one round
knit one round plain
k1 k2tog for one round
k2tog for one round
break yarn and draw through remaining 8 sts.  Pull tight and weave in on inside.

Options I've added over the years are rolled-brim, detailing, embroidery, crocheted flower embellisments, eyelet for ribbon, ruffled brim, curliques, ears, cables, stripes, layers, pompoms...  the possiblities are endless.  Have fun!

No comments: