Well, since I've revealed my failure as a writer, I just as well keep going and report on my failure as a runner. I run sometimes. Then I run regular for a bit. Then I take long breaks. And I never lose a pound. So I was running up until Christmas even in rain, wind, snow and minus 40. Then I quit and just couldn't bring Christmas baking imbued body to get back out there.
Luckily I have a very motivational friend that finally made me committ to a run on Saturday morning. Remember that I am a solitary runner. I don't like anyone knowing how slow/pathetic I am. Anyway she promised me a 2 km run - which turned into a 6 km run, but that wasn't totally her fault. Remember I haven't ran since Christmas and I ran 6 km first day out. I never ran 6 km even when I was running regular. More in the 4.8 range. Yeah, I didn't talk to her for a few days. Actually I couldn't talk/stand/walk/move...
However, being the slow learner that I am, I agreed to go on a 3 km run with her on Monday - assuming I could still walk. We did 6. ??? Wednesday was another 3 km run that turned into 7.5. Are you sensing a pattern? So she tells me we're doing 9 km tomorrow. Remember that I haven't ran since Christmas??? And I haven't ran 9 km since I ran the Raymond 10 miler when I was 12? (Except for one long random run last spring whereupon I had jellylegs for 72 hours solid.) Am I doing it all wrong? Or do I approach running like I approach getting in a cold lake. Jump in the deep end. None of this inching in and prolonging the agony. I don't know, but I'm feeling pretty good except for being terrified of tomorrow. I'm trying to not be too worried because surely my friend will carry me to urgent care in the event of an "emergency". Or call 911. Surely?
BTW, I've posted my mileage on the side bar so I can track how far I run this year. I'm very proud of my 24 km and it hasn't even been a week! You should join in. All the more people to help carry me home when I collapse and there is no defibrilator on site.
Thursday, May 19, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














1 comment:
Go Jacquie, go! Doesn't sound like a failure to me. :-)
Post a Comment