So. Behind.
Nevertheless... as promised - The Curviest Street in the World:
When you take a length of pavement 1 block long, tilt it 27%, and twist it into 8 hairpin turns - for SAFETY PURPOSES - you get the curviest street in the world.
(FYI: Apparently Vermont Street in San Francisco is curvier that Lombard but it is not as scenic so more people visit Lombard. I really don't know how much curvier a road can get but whatever.)
Bill Cosby said this about Lombard Street:
"They built a street up there called Lombard Street that goes straight down, and they're not satisfied with you killing yourself that way—they put grooves and curves and everything in it, and they put flowers there where they've buried the people that have killed themselves. Lombard Street, wonderful street."Amen to that! It was crazy. And there were lots of flowers... The speed limit on the street is 5mph but apparently there is a video game called Driver San Francisco where you get a virtual trophy for driving down Lombard Street at 20 mph without hitting any obstacles. I would so fail at that.
I hope you can get an idea of the slope from these shots. There were signs reminding you to park at 90 degrees. Very unique and I cannot imagine what they do when it snows.
You can see Lombard Street way at the top of this photo. Basically it is tough to photograph a street while you are driving on the street. I guess you will just have to go there yourself and see it.
I'll have to tell you about the most amazing bridge later. I'm too tired tonight.














No comments:
Post a Comment