Saturday, October 08, 2011

The Most Amazing Bridge in the World

The Most Amazing Bridge in the World was built in 1937.  This 1.7 mile long bridge took 4 years and cost $35 million to build.  You can see how thick the cables are when Lincoln stands in front of the sample.  During the construction of the bridge, a safety net was secured under the "construction site. This net saved the lives of 19 men who formed a club called the "Halfway to Hell Club". Only 11 men died making the bridge - I guess the scaffolding they were standing on collapsed and fell through the safety net. Not in the club.  (Thank you Wikipedia).

I loved the bridge. It rises out of the fog and is a very imposing structure. We didn't get a lot of pics of it since it was so cold that day and the camera died and it was cold and well, it was cold. I actually saw lots of people walking around with tuques on! There is truth to the San Francisco cliche "the coldest winter I ever spent was summer in San Francisco". It's also the coolest thing Mark Twain never said. Some people think Jack London said it but I got tired of looking for the true source.  Besides, not knowing who said it doesn't make it any less true.
 I guess we'll finish off the scariest prison later...

There is a prize for the best caption submitted for this picture.  Get your entry in today..

1 comment:

Neener said...

Love it! It was so foggy and low clouds the day we went you couldn't even see the bridge. So thanks for posting pictures.
Love the look by the way.