Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Neglected knitting

I've been neglecting my knitting to finish a book.  Luckily, it was full of knitting quotes.
"...time for the Aunties to arrive, for Aunty Vijaya to cover the heated months with trailing histories, rambling family sagas, all of which knotted and looped messy as Meera Aunty's mad knitting, till I felt that I did not exist except in somebody's story, completely fictional."  (Tamarind Mem by Anita Ran Badami p. 64)
"At other times she clicked a pair of blunted knitting needles, trailed yards of yellow wool.  She said she was knitting a blanket for Ma.  sometimes it was a shawl, a bedspread or a rug....'Knitonepurloneknitknitknitonepurlone', murmured Aunty Meera non-stop for an entire day, a droning bee pausing only to slurp in the spit that filled her mouth.  If the burps annoyed Ma, this knitting drove her into a frenzy.  Meera was obviously imitating her, for Ma enjoyed knitting, her fingers busy twirling the wool around the needles as she supervised the servants..."  (Ibid p. 68)
"Once, Ma hid the wool and the knitting needles, and Meera walked out of the front gates in a petticoat and blouse, her plump, hairy belly, the colour of old flour, sagging over the waistband, right into Mrs. Goswami's bungalow, where she methodically shredded all her Persian Queen roses. Ma returned the knitting and locked herself in her room." (Ibid. p. 69)
See, nobody better go hiding my knitting needles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That last quote is FRIGHTENING!!!

Bea said...

Here I thought you were telling us you'd written a book. I'm glad it was a good knitting read though.