Thursday, December 24, 2009

My Christmas Wish

And so my dear readers, here we are on Christmas Eve.  The sweater is knit, the gifts are wrapped and some of them opened (Christmas Eve jammies), the Chinese food has been devoured, the Christmas Story (Luke 2) and 'Twas the Night before Christmas have been read.  Carols have been sung.  The kids, so excited for Christmas, have tore around the house in their new jammies jumping and whacking each other with wrapping paper rolls.  Ed is taking his traditional evening nap on the couch.  The kids are settled in with a calm movie and I finally have a moment to myself. 
Christmas was tough for me this year.  I just couldn't get ready - so many other things going on.  Combine the busyness with the sentiment that some of my children were less than deserving didn't make shopping for them easy.  The whole Santa business is to encourage children to "be nice - not naughty".  All I could think about getting them was a lump of coal.  I hated feeling like the Grinch.  But even more I hated the lack of family unity, the absence of real Christmas Spirit and the complete dearth of good will to all men.  While out shopping I came across a little western ornament in the shape of a sheriff badge that says "Wishing you Peace".  I started to cry might have misted up a bit.  That's what all I want.  Peace.  Peace in my family.  Peace in the world.  I pray for it in my home and hope you have it in yours.  Merry Christmas.

4 comments:

Bea said...

I hope you got a bit of it for Christmas. Happy Christmas from my family to yours.

Beth said...

Merry Christmas! I had hopes of all the kids sitting by the fire every night as we read faith promoting stories, read from the scriptures and sang carols. But this only happened a few times. Our Christmas turned out though, hope yours was peaceful and a lot of fun too.

Rita said...

I've had a few Christmases reminiscent of what you've described feeling this year. It doesn't seem right to be wanting Christmas to just be finished! I've had to chalk it up on the too-long list of, "It's hard being a grown-up." I'm sorry you didn't have a more satisfying season and I hope the new year eases in softly.
xoxo,
Rita

Neener said...

Wishing you much peace for the new year Jac. I felt just like you with the lump of coal thing. Why must that happen? At the breakfast table this morning we had a talk ironically about bringing more peace into our family for the new year. I NEED it too.
Much love,
Denine