Monday, April 28, 2008


There was a mouse
who used to sit
about the house
all day and knit
until the cat
got wind of it.

The cat
and all her little kittens came
and ate that mouse's mittens.
(Kuskin, Karla; Moon, Have You Met My Mother?p 25)


How timely that I would find this quote just as I have been knitting this. I think it goes smashing with my black leather coat. All it wants is a mate...

Just remind me never to get a cat...
I have no idea whether or not Ms. Kuskin knits or not, but she makes reference to knitting in several other poems as well:


My gloves were knitted by my aunts.
I've mittens too and pants... (Ibid p. 162)

For wandering walks in the sparkling snow no one is muffled more warmly than Joe. No one is mittened more coated or hatted booted or sweatered both knitted and tatted buttoned and zippered...Ibid p 170

There was a witch who knitted things:
Elephants and playground swings.
She knitted rain,
she knitted night,
but nothing really came out right.
The elephants had just one tusk
and night looked more
like dawn or dusk.
The rain was snow
and when she tried
to knit an egg
it came out fried.
She knitted birds
with buttonholes
and twenty rubber butter rolls.
She knitted blue angora trees.
She purl stitched countless purple fleas.
She knitted a palace in need of a darn.
She knitted a battle and ran out of yarn.
She drew out a strand
of her gleaming, green hair
and knitted a lawn
till she just wasn't there.
Ibid p 285-5


That one is my favourite. I picked up that book at random and was pleasantly surprised.

Ed's Earl Navy socks are finished. Navy is very difficult to photograph, but with a little imagination you can just pick out the fancy cable detailing running the length of the sock. (Click to biggify) If you have no imagination, just enjoy the birthday carnations a loving friend gave me for my birthday.
I'm trying to pick a name for the mitten. It was knit out of that alpaca/wool mix I got for Christmas. You might remember, but probably don't, that this wool politely asked to be mittens even though I had marked it for socks. Then when I started to cast on, the mittens politely asked for a twisted rib instead of a regular. I must say, I like it better. So I've toyed with the Well-Mannered Mittens. It's a long name for such a sweet little thing, but that's all I could come up with. If you've got a better name, send it my way.


Fact: there are few things more difficult than a right handed person trying to take a picture of said right hand with useless left hand.
Last but not least, here is a picture taken off my television of Heidi. Miranda and I got it out of the library and watched it last week. I thought Heidi's little knitted toque suited her perfectly.

3 comments:

Bea said...

I love the mitten. I don't have any name ideas but i think its lovely.

The navy socks turned out well. Did you fix them afterall?

Sue-anne said...

A name for the mittens, how about- Sue-anne's mittens.

Harmony said...

Cute poems and cute mitten.