Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Wednesday Randomness

A long long time ago, I asked my grandma for some mittens. She rummaged around in her knitting and gave me a pair of mittens that would be the equivalent of clown shoes. They were enormous. But I treasured them all the same and tried to keep them on whenever I wore them. Being a delicate cream colour, it wasn't long before they needed a wash. Not thinking, I threw them into the washing machine. When they came out, they seemed to fit me a little better. I guess they shrunk. After learning a bit about felting, I thought I would throw them through the wash again and see what happened. They are now a perfect fit. Except for the flaw. Normally, felting will hide any flaws you can make in your knitting. In fact, when a sweater goes all wrong, you can always throw it in the washing machine and make an adorable sweater for a doll or teddy bear. This time, though, felting revealed the flaw. I would have never noticed otherwise, but after felting the mitts, I have discovered that my grandma ran out of wool and substituted with the same colour - in acrylic instead of wool. The top 2 inches on one mitten did not felt. It is a little annoying because the rest of the mittens are fuzzy, thick and well-fitting. In other news, my Christmas Confused Cactus is blooming again. ??? Has anyone else ever had such luck with Christmas Cacti? Erica had to make a 3D model of the cell. Here are the final pictures.


Can you identify the chloroplasts, mitochondria, nucleus, cell wall and vacuoles? They are completely edible. I think she is very creative and takes pride in her work. I wonder if they will boost her 100% average in science??? Over-achiever much?

1 comment:

Bea said...

Oh no! I didn't notice on the mitts until you pointed it out!

I remember making a cell cake in science. SO much fun.