Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Highway Robbery and the Macaroni Wars

Can you believe this?

Or this???

My kids wanted to go to Journey to the Centre of the Earth as a summer movie. Today wasn't the best weather so we went to the Matinee. 1 adult and 4 kids and the bill was 63.46! I nearly croaked. When did it get so expensive to go to the show? (We hardly ever go to movies so it was a real shocker!) It's the cheap theatres from now on!
Anyway, I read the book and really enjoyed it. The movie was not like the book, but it borrowed a lot of story lines. I thought the movie was very well done. Even though I whined about having to see it in 3-D, I ended up loving it. If you've never sat in a darkened movie theatre between 4 kids who reached out in perfect synchronicity to grab at things as they came "off" the screen, or duck out of the way of things "exploding" out into the audience.
And you should see me in my stylin' Woody Allen 3-D shades! Erica couldn't stop giggling.
Still, it wasn't worth 63 bucks.

BTW, I discovered a fun new series. Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson is a great read for your 10 year old and up. It's a great summer read that will engage even the most reluctant reader (got a few of those). Too bad only the first book is out.

So you'll never guess what two of my boys fought over today. And not just a petty little squabble, they came to blows. They fought over whose box of Kraft Dinner (click the link, my American friends) I would open to make for lunch! I asked one of them to get some from the basement and they both wanted to, so they raced each other down the stairs and back up and then the one boy opened his thinking that would ensure mommy used his and then the other boy hid the opened boxes so that mommy would use his, which caused the first boy major distress which he proceeded to transfer to the second boy and by the time it was all said and done I was purely worn out. With the wisdom of Solomon I used 1 box from each boy. Sigh. I need a knit night. Noooorrrrrmmmmaaaa, are you out there?????

5 comments:

Bea said...

Hmmm...I think you can buying the dvd so you can watch things at home a dozen times might be the better deal. At least it would only cost half the price!

I'm pretty sure we have Kraft dinner here. Also known as Mac and Cheese or Cheese and Macaroni. Its the stuff my mom always added additional macaroni too because she thought she could make a box go farther since there was so much cheese.

Debbi said...

huh-- not something I'd NORMALLY expect kids to fight over, but hey--whatever! You were very wise to draw on Solomon's teaching. I LOVE that story best of all the bible stories!

Carla McDaniel said...

i know what you are saying. we were in Salt Lake when we took the kids to that same movie and 'gasped' at the price as well. the movie was good...we enjoyed it, but did it really have to cost THAT much!!!

Amber said...

They must have raised the prices! Thanks for the upadate...that is ridiculous. If they put nice leather recliners in there...maybe.

Neener said...

we took our kids to see a movie last year, ended up being over 60 bucks too, the place was so crowded they gave us complimentary passes to come back again. So it made the price cut in half. Now we just go to the dollar theater (which is not a dollar anymore) Ya, renting it just seems worth it somethimes, but you miss all the big wonderful features. Guess it is time to build your own home theater!
It was good to catch up on all you blog stuff. Glad you had a good summer. I enjoyed all the videos. Especially the water skiiing with Miranda. SO cute!