Wednesday, September 15, 2010

bellicosity

I'm reading a very interesting book about Alberta right now.  It's called "Mavericks: An Incorrigible History of Alberta" by Aritha van Herk.  I saw it at the library and something in the title made me pick it up.  I've learned a lot about Alberta - for example, Albertans are very literate.  We borrow more books per capita from our libraries than any other province." (pg 338)  Also interesting is the fact that Francis Dickens, son of Charles Dickens, joined the RCMP and was involved in an altercation with the Indians in the Fort Mcleod region.  (pg. 92)  I believe the book to be well researched and I was quite impressed with it.   There were many new words but I only remembered one of them.

bellicosity:  n; a hostile or warlike attitude
"The Nor'Westers, famous for their bellicosity, impudence, and humour, differed sharply from the more rigid functionaries of the HBC."

2 comments:

mskaz said...

I was just reading about all the seminars and speakers they have for that book this fall. I really would like to read it. I also want to go to some of those events but most of them are at the downtown library and that just seems a little out of my way. Le sigh.

Anonymous said...

New word, yay! Have you read any by Sid Marty? His book "Leaning on the Wind" is fascinating.