We love to ski as a family So we took a few days over Christmas. But it was very cold. Nearly everyone's toes got cold. I buy my kids nice ski socks so it really bugs me that their toes get cold. Then I had the idea to knit ski socks out of worsted weight wool. I pulled out a skein of some fun stripy wool (you know how much I love my stripes...) and knit one lovely warm thick ski sock. I knew I didn't have enough wool to knit a second one, and even though I could go to Michael's and buy another skein, I didn't want to. It's all about using what you've got right now. So I pulled out my bag of worsted weight wool remnants and found many of the same colours as in the stripy sock. So I cast on sock number two and knit it using the remnants. Now there are those among you who might not think these socks match, but let me be the first to assure you they do. I've christened them the Jack Sprat socks (pm me if you can't figure it out) and I wear them every day. Drawbacks are two-fold. First, they are hand-wash only. Second, one stripe is not wool (in my defense it is wool I bought in China and I couldn't read the label...) and my toes get cold on whichever foot is wearing that sock. But I love them and wear them everywhere.
Thursday, February 10, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














1 comment:
Love these!
Post a Comment