Monday, June 04, 2007

Quoting Peter Pan?

Dave Barry, author of Peter Pan, said,
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

I think he was talking about knitters, or rather me as a knitter. Last week when I was trying so hard to finish eighteen quiet book pages, I neglected my knitting. And to my surprise, I didn't die. This may seem trivial, but I really do not know what I did before I started knitting. It makes me a little sick to think of how much time I must have wasted; waiting at red lights, sitting in doctor's offices, watching hockey, going on road trips... how did I ever handle it? So when I went a whole week without the productive and therapeutic click click of the needles, I was quite surprised relieved when nothing bad happened.

I have started my first sweater for myself. It will be a blue fair isle knit with Icelandic Alafoss Lopi yarn. I have always wanted one and while I coveted the beautiful one at Birch Hill Yarns, I wanted to make my own. Besides, it cost 295 bucks to buy!

Here is my first sweater, a baby bolero knit with Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino. I thought it was very cute and soft. It won a white ribbon at the Spruce Meadows Country Fair in 2006. The judges complimented me on my "finishing techniques". What, is there something wrong with bragging being proud of a job well done?

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Congratulations! By the way KIP stands for Knitting (or knit) in public.

houseofhud said...

Cute quiet book pages. I want one of those quiet books. They sound really fun!