Friday, June 01, 2007

Eighteen...

What's so great about the number 18?

18 is the only number that equals twice the sum of its digits. (Are you smarter than a 5th grader???)

18 is the chronological moment when children legally assume majority control over their persons and their actions and decisions, thereby terminating the legal control and legal responsibilities of their parents over and for them. (Wikipedia)

In China 18 means "going to prosper". Consequently the 18th floor in a high rise is very expensive in China.

18 is the number of holes of golf in a stipulated round of golf.

18 is the atomic number of the element Argon. (Bring back memories of Mr. Hull and the periodic table of the elements, 'eh Sher?)

Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence. (-Erma Bombeck)

Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen. (-Mark Twain)

Albert Einstein said, "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

So why the obsession with the number 18? It's not like I can actually remember being 18 years old or anything. It's just that I have finished making 18 quiet book pages. I dream quiet books every night. Anyway, here is what 18 quiet book pages look like:


And a close up:


And who is hiding under the flap?
Erica is my artist for the little crab and starfish. She stayed up until midnight drawing those. It was a lot of work, but hopefully it will keep someone quiet in church for the equivalent number of hours. (Who am I kidding???)

I haven't been knitting much lately due largely if not entirely to the quiet book deadline, but I did manage to knit my scarf, although my scarf weather has turned into swimming suit weather, it is 26 out there right now. Good thing I made this while it was snowy. (Sorry about the lighting, it doesn't show the jewelled tones of the self striping yarn off very well.)
I'm all ready for next winter.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are the cutest little crabs. What a talented daughter you have.

Anonymous said...

Will you knit me a scarf too Jacqueline?

Amber Wigg said...

That quiet book club sounds fun. I hope I get to see someones book when it's all done. That is a cute page!