Ever tried to take a picture of a baby grizzly bear while running across a foot bridge in high heels while also looking back over your shoulder for the mama bear? This is what your picture might look like if that ever happened to you. .jpg)
Oh, you want the rest of the story? (Words in brackets are the corresponding emotion to that particular thought.)
So Erica and Bentley and I went for a little birdwatching excursion out at mom's. I saw a fluff of white in the water and got out to investigate. It was a dead trumpeter swan. (Awww...)
We were just standing there taking pictures speculating how it could have died, when Erica heard galloping footsteps and turned and yelled, "A Bear!" (Surprise) Said bear was less than 8 feet away and heading straight for us. Then Bentley saw it too. Now bears are not unheard of out at my dad's, but we were several miles north of the mountain forested area they would normally frequent. My first thought (and the following thoughts went through my mind at about mach 7!) was that they were pranking me. (Unbelief) My second thought, one half split second later, when I actually saw the bear, was that it was just a baby one. (He's so cute!) My third thought, coming as rapidly and almost on top of the second thought, was , "Where's his mama?" (Fear/Terror) Simultaneously as I thought this, I looked to see how far we were from the car. Too far. (Panic) Fourth thought, get precious children to safety. (Protect the offspring!) I instructed them calmly and forcibly to Get. In. The. Car. As we three made our way nimbly over a plank foot bridge (well, me in the heels wasn't so nimble), I had my brilliant 5th thought: Get a picture. (A-ha, blog fodder!) So I did. And now you know the rest of the story.
PS: We never saw the mama bear and we can't decide if it is a grizzly or a brown bear. So far, we've had more votes for Grizzly. Feel free to cast your vote, there may be a prize drawn out of the guesses.














9 comments:
I'm not sure what kind of bear it is. Sure is scary though to have it running around very near to you. I'm glad the mama wasn't around!
If it was small enough, you probably saw a black bear. ???
It's obviously not a black bear because it's not black. It's obviously not a griz 'cause it doesn't have a hump. Hence, it's a BROWN BEAR! HEEHEE...
I actually think it was a bear trying to get close enough to you to tell you to quit knitting dishcloths.
lol
Why did you take a picture of a dead swan? You told me it looked beautiful but it doesn't, it just looks DEAD with a long broken neck or something. I'm more traumatized by that than the darn bear! And another thing, that bear is bigger than my dog. What the heck is wrong with you woman?
But nonetheless, cool about the bear, especially since it didn't eat anyone.
Yikes! For sure a grizzly.
Grizzly. And can I put in a vote to turn off the cheeping chick? I get a heart attack every time I go to your blog! (sisters can say these kind of things...right?:)
He cheeping chick does not give me a heart attack, but I thought something was wrong the the downloaded music I was playing at the time. I figured out it was coming from your blog:) However, I am terrified of bears...I go nowhere it Albertas wilderness without constant worry. I'll stick with the beach:)
Ok, doesn't your family live in Mountainview? Oh my goodness.... great photo, I need to keep more up to dat with your blog so I can keep up with the excitment.
Post a Comment