Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Whirlwind Maritime Tour Part II, Prince Edward Island


We took the ferry across to Prince Edward Island. The weather was very cooperative the entire time we were there, that being hot and humid. I suffered the worst (only) case of Humidity Hair in my life, but do not worry, I found the cure as you will soon see.
Crossing to the Island we enjoyed a gorgeous sunset, surfacing porpoises, and talk about smooth sailing, not a ripple on the ocean. My in-laws have made that crossing when one could not even walk about the boat for the rough seas, but we walked around, had Cows ice cream , enjoyed the witty folks marketing Cows t-shirts, and even ate at the cafeteria. Most pleasant indeed.
.
Due to "ferry issues" we arrived on Prince Edward Island too late to do anything more than drive through Charlottetown. We stayed in a little bed and breakfast about 20 minutes from Green Gables.
The next morning we went to Avonlea Village, Anne of Green Gables, Cavendish Beach and Rustico.

This is the backyard of the B&B we stayed at. So pretty.

Lover's Lane

"You can imagine the lovers into it, you know. I like that lane because you can think outloud there without people calling you crazy." (Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud
Montgomery)
The Haunted Wood
Poor Anne. Marilla made her walk through the Haunted Wood just before dark, and of course her and Diana had imagined all sorts of ghosts and spooks that lurk there. She swore she would never be unhappy with "commonplaces" after that.
"Anne never forgot that walk. Bitterly did she repent the license she had given
her imagination. The goblins of her fancy lurked in every shadow about her,
reaching out their cold, fleshless hands to grasp the terrified small girl who
had called them into being. (Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery)"
I hesitate to admit I didn't read Anne of Green Gables until I was 32 years old. My grandmother did her best to get me to read them, but all I read were Nancy Drew, Louis Lamour and Agatha Christy, (and of course Sweet Valley High, but I don't like to admit that either.) Since that time I have read every book my Grandma has recommended and not been disappointed once. (Sigh, Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freedman.) Oh, how I regretted all the years of not knowing Anne. I dearly admired her character and have wanted to go to PEI ever since. I was not disappointed. The entire Island is so inspiring, it was easy to see where Lucy Maud Montgomery got her material for her stories. Life lesson: listen to your grandmother.

These are Cavendish Beach and Rustico Beach, respectively.
I loved Prince Edward Island. The postage stamp farms, the mini round bales, the green fields, the red sand beaches, the happy people... I loved it all. It was easy to see where Lucy Maud Montgomery got her inspiration. I wish we could have spent more time there, but we were off to drive the 8-mile, 1 billion dollar, Confederation Bridge.
I promised you the cure for Humidity Hair and here it is. A very cute hat!
Tune in tomorrow to find out all you ever wanted to know (or not) about the Bay of Fundy.

5 comments:

Kat said...

I actaully cried when i was visiting Anne of Green Gables. It was so beautfiul there, I cant wiat to go back. I think PEI is so pretty. I love seeing your pics:)

Carla McDaniel said...

I never wanted to visit the Maritimes. Chris has been for work, brought back pictures and now I can't wait to visit. Love Anne of Green Gables!!! That would be my first stop.
Gorgeous Pics. Lover's Lane...my Fav!

Beth said...

I love Lucy Maud Montgomery, have ever since I was little. I read "the Blue Castle" the week after I had Ethan. It was very peaceful, funny, and relaxing. I'd love to see all the Anne of Green Gables tourist things someday, but until then thanks for sharing your pictures and adventures.

Debbi said...

I'd LOVE to visit there!

And, sadly, I have never read Anne Of Green Gables either. Does watching the ENTIRE series/movies AND The Road To Avonlea count? ;)

Anonymous said...

Your pictures (and the complimentary quotes) take my breath! I'm in 'raptures'! My parents actually moved to PEI for a couple of years when I was on my mission - it was always my Mom's dream. Sadly I never got out there, but it's one of my life goals...