After getting off the Confederation Bridge, we drove up the coast to spend the night in Moncton. We chowed down on delicious enchiladas at Mama Rosa's and had to put up with the worst language I have ever heard in English and/or French from the table next to us. We got up early the next morning to see the Bay of Fundy at it's lowest point.
It is truly amazing that in 6 hours time, all this will be under 15 feet of sea water. I always thought inukshuks were a West coast thing, but they were very popular on the East coast as well. The guides built them along the edge of the water as "indicators" to know when it was time to head for higher ground. That tide moves one foot every 10 minutes!
Since it takes 6 hours for the tide to come all the way in, we drove up to Bay of Fundy National Park.
Lucky for us it was a clear day, (no hearing damage) clear enough, in fact, to see all the way to Nova Scotia (the land mass in the background of the next photo is Nova Scotia)
Then we drove back to the Bay of Fundy to see the tides at their highest. Basically the Bay of Fundy acts like a huge funnel, so the tide comes in and because of the small basin it enters, it must rise higher since it has nowhere else to go. It was absolutely phenomenal.
We saw one of the famous covered bridges and stopped to walk through it. These were in use until 1975.
This poor old guy almost fell when he let go of the bars of his "jail" to wave at me. I guess I shouldn't have waved at him. I guess he shouldn't be driving down the highway in the back of a wagon...
After a couple more pleasant days with Ed's family in Dartmouth enjoying my precious new nephew, his brothers, and their mother (one of my favourite people), we headed for home. I'm so glad I got to see the other side of Canada. It was fun to go on a holiday and not have to exchange any money! Special thanks to my Mother-in-law and sister for watching the kids. And special thanks to my favourite travel agent for a wonderful week of memories. XOX














1 comment:
You are so lucky! I have always wanted to go see the Bay of Fundy.
Post a Comment