Thursday, January 10, 2008

knitting content

Whilst we were skiing Fernie over Christmas, much to my husband's embarrassment, I sort of kinneared the coat of the boarder with whom we shared the lift. (Kinnear is an invented verb by the Yarn Harlot which means taking a picture of someone secretly) He was wearing a coat that looked for all the world like it was knit, but it wasn't. I thought it was pretty cool, so I whipped out the camera and photographed the unassuming victim. His response to my unusual request of, "Excuse me, but do you mind if I photograph your coat?" was a humble, "Yeah, my mum's some kind of famous flax weaver person." [Insert New Zealand accent]. The dude was obviously no stranger to fiber addicts enthusiasts.
I've also got quite a collection of knitting quotes for you:

Miss B. sat there, humming and knitting, looking up at him every so often as if to see how much longer he was going to stay. The Birth House by Ami McKay p. 32

Miss B. cooed over Bertine's knitting, smoothing the folds with her blue-lined hands. "L'amour de maman. A mother's love. Ibid. p. 63

"How does the Occasional Knitter's Society sound?" Ibid. (the name for their knitting group that was knitting socks for the soldiers in the Second World War)



I made a little toque for my new nephew. Due to the fact that he lives too far for him to model the FO, I had to find an unprotesting substitute. I would like to know how it fits him, but haven't heard yet. Here is the finished mystery gift. For the little princess in my life, what can be better than a Princess Christmas Stocking. I knit the top out of some very soft fluffy wool that looks like real fleece right off the sheep. I think it was well received.
After reading all the controversy over the knitted stamps, I was still very excited to receive one. Thanks cousin Karen!

Here is a FO pic of the Chocolate Cough Drop socks gracefully displayed on the recipient's feet. I took this pattern out of Knitting Vintage Socks, but had to tweak it to the point of rewriting it for the yarn I used. Katia Mississippi. They were a challenge to knit, but I think they came out fine.

I'll give you one more knitting quote that I found in the most unlikely place, True Sea Stories by Henry Brook. (My 10 year old is reading it)

People all over the city sent offerings: hand-knitted socks, torn overcoats, bottles of wine and cans donated one or two at a time. p. 85-86


In other news the Bossy Socks are coming along. I have finished one and I love it. They stayed bossy to the end - I was kitchenering K2 P2 ribbing. Being that it is the year of the Fearless Knitter, I say: bring it on, Bossy Socks!

2 comments:

Bea said...

That coat is very interesting and your socks and hat look great.

Bea said...

HI! I don't think I have your email :( I went to respond to your comment on my blog and realized I couldn't! My socks are knit with Fleece Artist Nova Sock Yarn. I'll be reviewing the yarn when I post the finished project details as well. I have a few things good and bad to say about it!