Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Recommended Reading

I have just finished the most wonderful book.  My dear friend has been recommending it to me for years and I finally got it out of the library.  If you've got some time on your hands, I hope you'll try to get them on a copy.  And just so you know, I would have loved the book even if it didn't have a knitting quote in it.
"I am sory that the necktie I sent was so wobbly; I knit it with my own hands (as you doubtless discovered from internal evidence).  You will have to wear it on cold days and keep your coat buttoned up tight".  (Daddy Long Legs by Jean Webster p. 168)
What began as a serial in a 1912 issue of the Ladies Home Journal became a best selling book, a successful stage play and a popular silent film. It would be a great Christmas gift for the vocabulary-loving teenage girl in your life.  Or anyone who loves a classic feel-good orphanage story.

2 comments:

Sue-anne said...

I wanted to thank you for my mittens! It's been cold enough that I need them and I love them! Thanks again.

mskaz said...

After we talked about it at book club that one night, I ordered it for Avery. She LOVED it. I'm going to have to read it too.