Sunday, February 14, 2010

"Let the Games Begin"

Well, I hope you are all enjoying the Olympics.  Being married to Ed the Olympic Junkie, there has been no shortage of Olympic coverage in my house.  I, on the other hand, have never been much of a fan.  It's not that I don't like the Olympics, I just could take them or leave them.  So I surprised myself when I teared up watching Wayne Gretzky light the torch.  I caught Olympic fever.  And that's when I joined the Knitting Olympics. 
(button by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee)
One of my favourite famous knitters started this back in 2006 and 4000 knitters participated. 

The idea is that you cast on a challenging project on the first day of the Olympics, knit like crazy mad for 16 days and if you finish you get a virtual gold medal.  (This is all documented in the History of Knitting 21st Century Revival in case you don't believe me.)  Picking a project wasn't so easy.  It had to be challenging, but I wanted to be able to finish it.  Then it hit me, something challenging would be knitting anything bigger than a newborn baby toque and/or anything for myself.  So I ran down to my local yarn store and picked out some nice wool in a surprising colour and cast on for a sweater.  For me.  Hallelujah.  Go me!

5 comments:

Dana said...

Go Jacqueline, I'm cheering for you!

Tara said...

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures of your "surprising" sweater in a few weeks. Maybe I should start the Smocking Olympics!!

Anonymous said...

Its the Canadian Pride kicking in...It happens to the best of us!
I so wish I was there!

Rita said...

Go you is right!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Bea said...

Good luck! I didn't manage to pick a project so I'm not participating. Love watching the regular Olympics though.