Monday, February 13, 2012

Our annual trip to Ottawa - in which I run my own mini-marathon

Ed and I went out to Ottawa.  There was the big oil protest.  I’ve never seen so many police in one place.  There were some peaceful arrests – all very anti-climactic and Canadian.

DSC09655

DSC09651DSC09649

The mall had some beautiful displays.  I must have walked past them 20 times.  They were stunning.  I wish I had those needles to make an afghan.  Maybe I could actually finish one.

DSC09656

DSC09657          DSC09659

I walked through some churches and had my picture taken with a giant spider.  Good thing I’m not arachnophobic…DSC09663DSC09664DSC09668

Apparently Obama toured Ottawa and bought some cookies to take home to his daughters at a little bakery in the Bytown Market.  So of course I had to buy some too and bring them home to my kids.  They were not very good cookies.  The store was plastered with these posters.DSC09670

Remember my bucket list?  Another thing I've always wanted to do is to skate the Rideau Canal.  Since I’m never there in the winter I decided it counts if I run it instead of skate it.  So off I went.  I didn’t know how far it was when I set out but I figured I would just do it.  I found out that it is a very very long way.  When I googled it back at the hotel, I found out it was 19.5 km.  I hit a wall at km 19.  I had no energy at all.  Keeping in mind I hadn’t eaten since supper the night before and it was now 2:00 in the afternoon, I allowed myself to walk the last bit.  Even though I was sore the next day, I was so proud of myself for running almost a half-marathon.  With food I think it would have been a lot easier.  Maybe next summer I’ll do a real half.

The best part of my trip (aside from one-on-one time with Ed and private time to myself) was seeing an old friend.  We had a nice lunch and a lovely visit.  Thanks, Steph.

DSC09669

1 comment:

Neener said...

Good for you. 19k of just running? don't think I could do it. You are a super star.