"Find something you're passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it."Such good advice. I guess I fell in love with knitting about eight years ago. Erica would have been about six years old and she asked her Granny to teach her to knit while we were visiting over Christmas. After watching the painful process of someone teaching someone else to knit, I knew I would need some basic skills in order to fix mistakes and aid and abet the activity once we returned home. Amazingly, Erica lost interest and I didn't. I have not been able to put the needles down since. The first projects were beanie baby blankets and from there we moved on to the Harry Potter scarves - see below. One of my sons asked to remain anonymous in the pic.
From there I started a few afghans, which deserve a post all to themselves, charity toques, socks, mittens, bird houses, leg warmers, more scarves, a few sweaters and now you know the rest of the story. Knitting has helped me in so many ways. It helps me wind down in the evening. It gives me something to do in the car on long trips, at red lights and waiting in emergency rooms. It keeps me and my loved ones warm. It is silent, calm and repetitive and predictable in an increasingly upsetting world. But mostly, it is the simple magic of turning string into something beautiful and warm that I love.
The act of Creating.














5 comments:
I love learning how you came to be a knitter. Isn't it wonderful how we stumble upon something wonderful when we least expect it?
Also "It gives me something to do...and waiting in emergency rooms." Is exactly how I would describe it because these three ways/places are three places I am well used to knitting.
Cheers!
Love the post and I would love to see pictures of your million creations.
Do you remember the talk Elder Utchdorf (sp) gave at the last Women's General Broadcast? It spoke about being easier on ourselves but also gave ways for us to be happy and find joy. I was intrigued by his suggestion that we be creative and his description of the different ways creativity could enrich our lives. Looks like you knew that all along :) I'm impressed with your calming, filling hobby.
Knitting. Hmmm. I'm happy you stumbled on what works for you!
I love this post, what good advice. how do you knit a birdhouse?
Only 6 years ago you learned?! I would of thought that you learned how to knit when you were 6 years of age, with the amount that you can accomplish! I think it is a great gift and talent to knit, as if in case of an emergency you could at least keep your family warm!! I love the act of creating, and one of these days I'll come over and see if it is possible for me to pick up this talent, instead of picking it apart.
Post a Comment