I am a logophile. I love new words. This probably stems from my Grandmother quizzing me out of the latest Reader's Digest It Pays to Enrich Your Word Power. The trouble is, when I come across a new word, I seldom retain the word or the meaning. I decided I wanted to remember better, so I'm incorporating these words into my blog and hopefully into my normal everyday speech. Maybe by writing them down, I'll remember them a little longer. In the last book I read, I came across two new words. (New to me, anyway)
1. Scabrous: adj; having a rough surface because of minute points or projections, as in: "The lawn was pocked with scabrous patches of crabgrass."
2. Chary: adj; cautious or careful; wary "Chary of what he might find, he proceeded with caution."
Friday, January 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)














1 comment:
do you read PD James? She always has new words for me. But then again, I may have a limited vocab.
Post a Comment