Monday, July 13, 2009

My other passion





Lest you think me one dimensional in my interests, I've decided to reveal that I also love to read. I just finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I didn't just love this book because of its mouthful of a title, or because it had two knitting quotes in it; I loved it because it's one of those books in which you become emotionally involved. You fall in love with the characters and it's almost as if you are in the book too. The actual author, Mary Ann Shaffer, passed away and her niece Annie Barrows finished the book. I have read several of Annie Barrows books (juvenile fiction). They are both talented writers. If you're looking for a great summer read, be sure to check this one out.



"I went to Amelia's and borrowed a few books with Miss Marple in them. She's a
caution, isn't she? Just sitting there quietly knitting away; seeing things
everybody else misses. (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by
Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows, p. 257)

"To that end, I am knitting a tiny matinee jacket and cap in pink wool." (The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows, p. 230)

Of course, I had to know what a Matinee Jacket looks like, so here is a Debbie Bliss pattern.

3 comments:

Debbi said...

I know it's not one you made, but seriously, I LOVE THAT JACKET!!! Too cute!

I'm always looking for a good book, so thanks. Maybe I'll check it out from the library.

teamZ said...

I read the book too, but some how I missed the knittng quotes :) See you Sunday.

Rita said...

Love the jacket and will read the book. You're a busy lady!!