Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What's with all the knitting quotes lately?

"And then I eat slowly, not thinking of the dream any more, and when I have
finished I clear the table and go out into the hall and put my tall boots on and
the warm old pea jacket and a cap with earflaps and mittens and the woollen scarf I
have worn round my neck for at least 20 years, which someone knitted for me when
I was a single and divorced man, and now I cannot recall her name, but I
remember her hands from the time we spent together; they were never still.
Apart from that she was still and discreet in her ways; only the click of her
knitting needles could be heard through the silence, and it was all too low-key
for me, and the relationship dwindled quietly into nothing." (Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson, pg. 198)

The relationship may have dwindled into nothing, but the scarf lived on and was still being used 20 years later!

No comments: