Monday, June 29, 2009

China, wrapped up

Hello, Blue Devils here. I just wanted to show off that I am finished (finally) share a few of my favourite pics from China.
I loved these Chinese brooms. They symbolize the industrious, innovative Chinese. I'm sure any broom you buy in a store here is made in China, but in China ironically, they use these twig brooms. They've been using them for centuries and they still do the job.

The senior citizens in China meet every morning in the parks. They do tai chi, they dance, they laugh, visit and socialize, and they compose Chinese poetry with water using a giant calligraphy sponge. Being written with water means that it will evaporate within minutes, but for a brief moment in time, this Chinese man has created something beautiful for all to see, however briefly.This is a poster for Mcdonalds advertising their delivery service. We got such a kick out of the big square backpack and the cheesy helmet. No one in China wears seatbelts or helmets. Ever. Except the McDonald's delivery guy.















This is an example of the grandma tending the preschooler. You can see his split pants. Because of split pants, most Chinese babies are potty-trained by the age of 1. We often saw the grandma's carrying the kids on their back like this.

This is the end of my story. Or is it the beginning? I guess that depends on who wears me and what adventures they take me on. Course, I've already been to China, and it's pretty tough to top that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the split pants are just for convience. How weird.

Bea said...

Nice socks! I love the calligraphy guy.

Debbi said...

Those pictures are so cool! Lucky pair of socks, you are!

Anonymous said...

i found you :) now i'm going to bookmark you. sheri