Monday, June 08, 2009

Peking Duck

A man orders chop suey in a restaurant. The waiter brings out a pot with a lid but the man's afraid to eat it because every so often the lid lifts up a wee bit and a wee pair of eyes peer out at him. He calls the waiter over, points it out, and asks "Are you sure that's chop suey?". The waiter goes, "Oh sorry sir, my mistake - I've brought you Peking duck.



(That was a joke, get it?)


Back to China.

We were fortunate to go out to dinner in Beijing with a man Edward knows from work who works in China. He took us to a very nice restaurant for Roast Duck. Peking Duck is considered one of the Chinese National Dishes. The ducks are roasted in an enormous and beautiful oven and sliced for you at the table.


There is a gong announcing its very arrival. It is served with pancakes, sweet onions, radish, cucumber and hoisin sauce.


I'm not usually very adventurous with my food, so I was surprised when I tried it and even more surprised when I liked it.

4 comments:

Debbi said...

The dinner sounds yummy, but the skewer through the neck and attached head on the duck grosses me out.

Rita said...

You are adventurous! Going to China AND eating there qualifies you!

Bea said...

I'd have so much food trouble. So much.

Anonymous said...

Haha that's the best joke I have ever readed