Friday, June 19, 2009

A problem and a poll

"Houston we have a problem."

First of all, if your name is Linda, or Sue or any variation/combination of those, you might not want to read this post.
(It'll spoil the surprise.)

Now back to our problem.
Once upon a time, a very long time ago, (2002) I fell in love with a sweater in a magazine. Since I couldn't get the yarn needed to knit it, I tried to substitute. I settled on a deep burgundy Patons Classic Wool Merino. Bought about a gagillion balls of it from Michael's. After knitting the back and one sleeve, I decided it wasn't working, stuffed it in a bag and hid it deep in a closet. Well, like dirty laundry, it surfaced again. It now had a snipped stitch and was unraveling (I never even took it off the needles). I laid it on a chair and it has continued to unravel for several weeks now. (I think one of the boys took the needle out to use as an arrow in their homemade bow...) Finally I threw the whole thing into the frog pond. What to do with this beautiful, albeit kinky, wool? Of which there is no small supply. Of course, you all know how yarn talks to me, so one day some lovely blue and cream (leftovers from the legwarmers) invited the burgundy over to play, and the three of them got along so well that I decided to let them stay together permanently. I've always wanted to knit the buttonhole bag from Mason-Dixon, so I decided to go for it. The three colours together reminded me of the colonial American flag. Now my mother, let's just say her name is Linda or Sue or some variation/combination of those, sometimes carries her knitting around in a Safeway bag, (not that there is anything wrong with that, I do it myself from time to time when my Wal-Mart bag gets a hole in it...), but the Yarn really wanted to be a Colonial Buttonhole Bag for my American mother. Sometimes she carries her knitting in a cute little bag that she made, but whose knitting wouldn't want to get carried around in a knitted bag? So I knitted and knitted and knitted, and felted and felted and felted and lo and behold, I have the most beautiful little bag to slip my, I mean my mother's knitting in.

So what's the problem? Well, when the beautiful thing came out of the washer, my boys immediately pegged it the Pepsi bag. And it does indeed look just like the Pepsi logo (yes, I know it is upside down). (The old one, not the new one. The new one is dumb). Keep in mind I am going to felt little stars around the white band to represent the 13 colonies...

(here's what it will look like with the stars, thank you Photoshop)

Assuming I don't decide to call it the Pepsi bag...

So now I can't decide whether it should be the Colonial or the Pepsi. Keep in mind that my mother doesn't even like Pepsi...

Help me out by voting on the pollster on the side bar.

4 comments:

houseofhud said...

It is cute whatever you decide to call it!

teamZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
teamZ said...

American, of course!

Rita said...

You are so talented! I love the bag and I don't even like Pepsi ;)