Great Expectations: Volume III Chapter 5
Estella was knitting, and Miss Havisham was looking on.Estella, pausing for
a moment in her knitting with her eyes upon me, and then going on, I fancied
that I read in the action of her fingers, as plainly as if she had told me the
the dumb alphabet. . .I could see in the actions of Estella's fingers as they
worked, that she attended to what I said: but she did not look up.All this time,
Estella knitted on.She raised her eyes to my face, on being thus addressed, and
her fingers plied their work, and she looked at me with an unmoved
countenance.Preserving her unmoved countenance, and with her fingers all going,
Estella shook her head.Looking at me perfectly unmoved, and with her fingers
busy, she shook her head again.Her fingers stopped for the first time, as she
retorted rather angrily, "What have I told you?"She looked towards Miss
Havisham, and considered for a moment with her work in her hands.
Thanks, Mum. We can't wait to have you back on Canadian soil.














No comments:
Post a Comment